Build an Open Source app with PlanetScale in July, and compete for $20,000 in cash prizes and swags! 🎉
Unleash the hacker in you this summer!
4 min read
Who's ready for Hashnode's next Hackathon? 🎉
We are excited to announce that we're partnering with amazing folks at PlanetScale for the July Hashnode Hackathon, Yay!!!
PlanetScale is a database for developers, scalers, creators, optimists, builders, and enterprisers. It's a MySQL-compatible serverless database platform.
No vacuuming, no rebalancing, no scaling, no query planning, and no downtime. Just a database that works!
More about PlanetScale:
- 100% of online schema changes are deployed automatically from your database branch,
- PlanetScale is the most scalable MySQL platform. With horizontal sharding and unlimited connections, you can harness the power of Vitess without hiring a team of engineers,
- MySQL compatible: Built on top of the world’s most popular open-source database and compatible with all major frameworks and languages,
- Effortless MySQL data import: Import your data in a snap. No dumping, no restoring, and
- Unlimited power at your fingertips with the CLI.
About the Hackathon 💡
During July, we want to see you build an open-source app using PlanetScale. Publish an article on your Hashnode blog about the process of creating and launching your app for a chance to win one of 15 cash prizes! This is an excellent opportunity to unlock your creativity with a great open-source project.
If this is your first time using PlanetScale, you'll soon see it's super easy to get started, and there is well-written documentation. You can also find tutorials written by James Q Quick, Camila Ramos, and more great authors.
How to Participate 📄
- Sign up on PlanetScale's website,
- Build an open-source app using PlanetScale as the database,
- Attribute to PlanetScale and Hashnode from the Project's Readme and the footer of the project's website.
- Launch your app by publishing an article on your Hashnode blog - no blog yet? Set it up here,
- Tag your article with #PlanetScale and #PlanetScaleHackathon hashtags — this is how we know who's in, and finally
- Share your article on Twitter, LinkedIn, or Instagram - be sure to tag @planetscaledata and @hashnode so we can spread the love! ❤️
Hackathon Prizes 🏆
Are you ready?!
Compete for 20,000 USD in cash prizes…
5 Grand Prizes
- 💰 2000 USD
- 👕 Hashnode Swag (T-shirt + mug)
10 Runners-up Prizes
- 💰 1000 USD
- 👕 Hashnode Swag (T-shirt)
🎫 Hashnode participation badge for your blog
Evaluation Criteria 🔍
Projects will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Product Thinking: How useful is the project in a real-world scenario? And the completeness of the features implemented.
- UI/UX: The overall look, layout, color usage, and positioning of the application.
- Code: Quality of the app (clean code, proper naming conventions, use of linter, etc.) and use of best practices.
- Completeness of the article: The blog should cover all aspects of your project. What inspired you to create this project? What problem does the project address? How did you build it? What are the real-world applications?
- Comprehensibility: Try to avoid esoteric jargon in your article. Use simple language to convey your thoughts and make it an enjoyable reading experience.
Winners Selection 💬
The Hashnode and PlanetScale teams will select winners.
Important Dates and Rules 📅
- Jul 1st, 2022 (00:00 PT): Hackathon begins.
- Jul 31st, 2022 (23:59 PT): Deadline for submissions.
- 2nd Week of August: Winners will be announced.
Excited? 😍 Help spread the word…
Retweet and share the following announcement in your network:
Community feedback for our past hackathons
Need Help? 🙋♀️
Join the hackathon channel on Hashnode's Discord dedicated server to connect with other community members building great apps, or talk to us on Twitter at @hashnode.
Good luck. ✌
By participating in this hackathon, you agree to the rules laid out here. Please read them carefully before proceeding. All projects submitted in this hackathon should be open source with MIT or other standard open-source licenses.