Announcing Hashnode Hackathon Powered by Vercel!
We are delighted to announce a new Hackathon on Hashnode in partnership with Vercel.
Hashnode Hackathons are an excellent way for developers to come up with interesting ideas and level up their skills by building. This hackathon will motivate you to create an app using your favorite tech stack, write an article about the process, and win cool prizes from the Vercel and Hashnode team.
From now through to February 7 (3 weeks), you’ll have the opportunity to build an application, launch it on Vercel, and share your experience with the Hashnode community.
What is Vercel? ℹ️
Vercel is a cloud platform for serverless deployment. It enables developers to host websites and web services that deploy instantly, scale automatically, and require no supervision, all with minimal configuration. They are also the creators of the popular open-source React.js framework, Next.js.
How to participate 🧑💻 👩💻
- Build an app using your favorite language/tool/framework.
- Deploy your app to Vercel. If you don't have a Vercel account, create a free one here.
- Write an article about the building process of your app on your Hashnode blog. If you don't have a Hashnode blog yet, set it up here.
- Add the #VercelHashnode hashtag to your article.
- Share your article on social media and tag @hashnode and @vercel.
Suggested App Categories: 💼
These are suggested categories to give you an idea of what to build. However, you shouldn't restrict yourself to this category. You are free to build anything and whatever you like.
- Devtools - Devtools are Developer utility tools that make task execution easier in some way. It can help developers to test and debug their code or perform some other task with ease and efficiency.
- Productivity - Productivity tools/applications as the name suggests are applications/tools that help you to enhance your productivity. This covers a wide range of applications such as extensions, trackers, time sync apps, etc.
- Entertainment - Applications that can contribute to the entertainment of a user will come in this category. It can be as simple as a music player or a movie watcher.
- Social - Social applications are the ones that help you socialize with other people in one way or the other. Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter all fall into this category. But you can use your creativity to spin some unique Social applications.
5 Grand Prizes
- $500 Amazon Gift Card
- 1 Next.js SweatShirt and 2 Mugs
- 1 Next.js T-shirt
- Hashnode T-Shirt
10 Runners Up Prizes
- $250 Amazon Gift Card
- 1 Next.js T-shirt and Mug
- Hashnode T-Shirt
Participants (with a valid project)
A “Hashnode Hackathon” participant badge on their Hashnode blog.
On 10th Feb 2021, we will evaluate all the entries and pick the winners.
Our team will evaluate projects on the basis of the following criteria:
- Usefulness - How useful the project can be in a real-world scenario?
- Completeness - Are the features implemented in the project complete?
- Design - The overall look, layout, positioning in the application.
- Colour - Colour usage and proper contrast.
- Quality - Are participants writing clean code, using proper naming conventions (comments can be avoided if naming conventions are used really well), linters usage?
- Best Practices - How well can the candidate use the latest code features (ES6, ES7, ESNext, etc.)? How well is the code structured inside each file?
Once you are done with your project, it's time to write what your project does. Following are criteria based on which our team will evaluate the articles on Hashnode -
The Blog should cover all aspects of your project, ranging from what inspired you to create this project, what is the problem the project is targeting, to how you created it.
The best way to ensure completeness is by covering your whole project development journey including the implementation details as well as the challenges you faced.
Try to avoid difficult jargon in your blog. Use simple language to convey your thoughts.
The only time your reader should Google words included in your blog should be for technical terms.
Make your blog personalized, this will help you in discovering your writing style.
Make your blogs visually interactive by using the app screenshots.
Important Dates 🗓
- January 15th, 2021: Hackathon Begins
- February 7th, 2021: Hackathon’s deadline for submission (Due at 11:59 PM PT)
- February 10th, 2021: Winners of the Hackathon will be announced
By participating in this hackathon you agree to accept Hashnode Hackathon rules. Please read them carefully before proceeding.
We are looking forward to seeing what you will build. 🔥